Configure SmartEtailing Payments to manually capture payments.
SmartEtailing Payments is configured to automatically capture payments by default. We recommend Manual Capture only for advanced users who require additional oversight and are prepared to manage payments within the 7-day expiration window.
- Manual Payment Capture is an optional feature of SmartEtailing Payments. When enabled, each payment comes in as an authorization. You must capture the payment to get paid.
- When a payment is authorized, the bank guarantees the amount and holds it on the customer’s card for up to seven days.
- If the payment is not captured in this time, the payment and authorization are both canceled, and the funds are released. This cannot be undone.
- You can capture the full amount, or you can capture less than the originally authorized amount.
- You can only capture once per order.
Enabling Manual Payment Capture
Log into your Site Manager and go to Commerce > Payment Methods. If you’ve previously signed up for SmartEtailing Payments, you will see a new toggle for Manual Payment Capture.
By default, this is turned off. In the default state, payments will continue to capture automatically. When Manual Payment Capture is enabled, payments require an additional, manual step before you receive any funds. To enable, toggle the switch to on.
Managing Manual Capture
Upon login, any user with permission to view Order Search will be presented with a notification for uncaptured orders. This notification displays Open Orders with pending payment capture (ordered from oldest to newest). This can also be accessed from the notification bell icon.
When Manual Capture is enabled, you'll see additional options when managing orders.
- To capture payment, press the Capture Online Payment button.
- You can choose to accept the full authorized amount or less than the authorized amount.
- However, you can only capture payment once. There is no way to re-create an authorization.
- To void an authorization, press the Void Authorization button.
- The authorization will not be voided until you click Void on the next screen.
Manual Capture Fees
Manually captured orders will not be charged fees until the moment of capture. Once captured, the fees are the same as regular SmartEtailing Payments transactions.
We recommend Manual Capture only for advanced users who require additional oversight and are prepared to manage payments within the 7-day expiration window.