Create clear and usable navigation on your site.
Site navigation is easy to over complicate, here's our guide to making simple, clear navigation that keeps customers on track, and search engines happy. Go to Content > Navigator Builder to begin.
Editing the Main Menu
Your main menu is how people will navigate your site. Beyond the search bar, making it usable is of the utmost importance.
- Click the green pencil next to the Navigator marked Home Page Navigator.
Our recommended navigation is as follows:
Note: Titles in Red are sub navigators, titles in Black are direct page links to Library pages, and titles in Blue are direct links to pages you've created.
Adding PagesFind Pages Available for Import below the list of pages currently in the navigation.
- The folder structure is the same as in Page Editor.
- Click folders to open and view the page titles.
- Use the Orange Arrow icon to move pages to your navigator.
- Check the box on the left to Display pages and submit changes.
- Use the arrows in the action column to change the order of the pages.
Create additional drop-down menus for your main menu to add structure as you add content to your site.
- To create a new menu go to the Master Navigator List
- Click Add New Navigator, then add a Navigator Title and Save Changes.
- Follow the same steps as in Adding Pages above to include pages.
- To include this menu in your Home Page Navigator, select the Home Page Navigator from the list at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down below Pages Available for Import to Navigators Available for Import (As Sub-Navigator).
- Locate the navigator that you wish to include and click the orange arrow.
- Don't forget to check the Display box and click Submit Changes.
- Use the arrows to change the display order.
Remove a Page or NavigatorWhen a page or navigator is no longer needed in a navigator, remove it to keep the Contents of the Navigator uncluttered.
- Click the Remove from Navigator icon.
- This does not delete it from Your Pages in Page Editor.
- TIP: Deleting a page in Page Editor will remove it from any navigator it's listed in.
Making Navigators ActiveBy default, a new navigator is selected to be active. If you de-activate a navigator it can not be selected to display on any page or added to another navigator.
Preview, Edit and Delete Existing Navigators
From the Master Navigator List there are three Action icons available to use.
- Preview the navigator, and a pop-up window will appear listing the page titles of that navigator.
- Edit a navigator to import pages or other navigators, change the order, or remove pages.
- Delete a navigator. If you no longer need a navigator you may permanently delete it.
If your navigation is not appearing the way it should on the front end of the site, be sure to review the following:
- Reset Cache for navigation changes to take affect.
- Make sure all pages and sub-navigators you recently added are selected to Display.
- Sub-navigators need to be included in the Main Menu to display.
- Pages with start dates after today, or end dates before today will not be shown on the front end.
- If no pages in a sub-menu are set to display, or are outside the date parameters, the menu will not display.
- If your navigator was created to display on a particular page, edit that page's Page Settings.