Complete these steps to start using RTK's Staffing, Scheduling, and Payroll tools
The Staff & Payroll tools in Retail Toolkit are extremely powerful, and leveraging them can prevent labor overages without sacrificing customer service.
To make the most of their capabilities, you'll want to spend some time setting them up for your particular store's needs. Here's a list to help you get started:
Set the payroll start date and payroll period
To begin using the Staff & Payroll tool, you'll first need to add the Payroll Start Date and Frequency.
- Navigate to the Staff & Payroll Settings page.
- Click the button to "Unlock Parameters".
Add the next payroll cycle's start date, and choose the payroll period. (If none of these parameters match your schedule, select the closest one.)
- Biweekly (every other Friday, for example)
- Monthly (every calendar month)
- Semi-monthly (twice per calendar month, on the 1st and 15th)
Create/edit shift types
Shift Types allow you to add non-worked hours to Accrued Payroll, like PTO or sick time, for example. This will be available in the scheduler to place as a shift.
- Navigate to Staff & Payroll -> Schedules -> Settings
- Click the + Add Row button
- Apply the following setting to your new shift type
- Name: Name the shift type for your reference.
- Color assignment: Easy visual cue for the shift type in the schedule
- Time Picker: Check this box if you need to set particular times for this shift type when adding it to a schedule. Leave unchecked if this shift type has a set number of hours. For example, a vacation day might be set to 8 hours exactly.
- Include in scheduled hours total: Determine if this shift type's hours are added to the weekly total hours.
- Include in scheduled dollars total: Include this shift's dollars in the total dollars on the schedule
- Include in paid hours total: Include this shift's dollars in the total dollars to be paid
- Shift label: How the shift will be labeled when viewed in the schedule
- Treat as PTO: Determines if this shift will be paid out of a staff member's accrued PTO
- Fixed hours: If Time Picker is unchecked above, how many hours are in this shift type.
- Fixed dollars: If Time Picker is unchecked above, and shift type does not have fixed hours, how much is being paid to an employee for this shift. For example, working an off-site event may pay $100 regardless of number of hours worked.
Set payroll budget parameters
Staffing budget parameters should be set up to dictate how your budget is imported into RTK, either monthly or by pay period, and how the budget relates to Sales.
- Navigate to the Staffing & Payroll Settings page, click the Budget tab, and click the "Unlock Parameters" button.
- You will need to "Unlock Parameter" to be able to make changes.
- Select how you want to import your payroll budget, either by Pay Period or Monthly.
- The Payroll Goal Basis can be calculated based on a percentage of your Sales goal, last year's sales, or the 3-year average of sales.
- Be sure to click "Save".
Note: Linear Budget Distribution is recommended for those locations that have less than 1 year of sales history.
Linear Budget Distribution
By default, staff budgets for a location are set according to its sales last year, if the sales data is available. But other locations, such as newly opened stores, will not have the previous year's sales to go by.
In the Staff settings, under the Budget tab, Linear Budget Distribution allows the application to populate a budget for one or more locations, letting you determine which days of the week the budget you set will be distributed across. The goal is the prevent budget hours being allocated to days when the location won't be open, making those dollars unavailable on days the store will be open.
- Select a location in the dropdown to apply the linear distribution to.
- Check the boxes that correspond with the days the location is open.
- To add another location, simply click Add Row, and create another distribution.
Set up "Employee Over Hours" warnings
For better insights into time clock issues, you can flag shifts that go longer than a set number of hours. For example, if you have it set for 8 hours, the word "Investigate" will appear in the time clock report next to the shift for you to research and correct if needed.
- Navigate to Staff & Payroll -> Settings -> Time Clock
- Add the desired number of hours below "Error flag if more hours per day than" and click Save.
- Once this is set you will see employee shifts that for over that set hour per day under Time Clock.
- Click the Investigate link to view the shifts as clocked and Click "Revise" to make changes.