Everything you need to know about our newest payment gateway
This gateway allows you to manage your online sales and credit card processing in one place. More importantly, this provides the necessary security for processing transactions online.
High-volume retailers benefit from predictable rates, advanced fraud protection, and access to sophisticated e-commerce features. Retailers who are new to e-commerce benefit from easy setup and reduced risk.
- Login to your SmartEtailing Site Manager and go to Commerce > Payment Methods.
- Click the “Complete Account Setup” button.
- You must create a new Stripe account, you cannot use any other Stripe accounts you may already have.
- Toggle the SmartEtailing Payments to “On," also make sure to save changes at the bottom of the page.
To set up SmartEtailing Payments, you'll need the following information.
- Business owner’s legal name
- Phone number
- Date of birth
- Bank account or debit card details
- Once you set up your account, more information will be required, based on your answers to initial questions and sales volume.
- You can access the request for information from your account dashboard after your account is setup.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost?
Professional Package | Local & Legacy Packages
3.2% | 3.5%
What does “Powered by Stripe” mean?
- SmartEtailing has partnered with Stripe, the premier online payment processor for software as a service platform.
- Stripe is the same service used by popular website platforms like Shopify, Lightspeed, and Squarespace.
- This partnership allows us access to advanced features faster, along with best- in- class functionality and fraud mitigation.
- SmartEtailing will be able to leverage the scale of our combined retailer sales volume to access better rates and features than a local business could.
I have a Stripe account already, will it work for this?
- No, you will have to create a new account specifically for SmartEtailing Payments.
- However, if you have multiple accounts with the same Tax ID, and perform 200 transactions totaling $20,000, you will get a single 1099-K form for all your accounts.
What card types are accepted by SmartEtailing Payments?
- All major debit and credit cards are accepted, including; Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.
Is there a setup fee?
- No, there are no setup fees.
Are there hidden fees?
- All rate information is transparent and varies based on package level. There are no setup fees, monthly fees, or batch fees. There is a $25 fee when a chargeback occurs.
Are my fees returned when I refund a payment?
- No, Stripe keeps the fees associated with any payment.
Is there a contract?
- No, there is not a contract but there is a user agreement.
Are payments authorized right away?
- Yes. When a customer makes a payment using a credit card, the payment is authorized and captured in one step.
- This simplifies the process and minimizes the potential for error. In the future, you will be able to configure settings to manually capture payment separately.
Will I be able to see payment related reports?
- Login to your SmartEtailing Site Manager and go to Reports > SE Payments.
- Certain payment details will also be visible in Orders or within Commerce > Payment Methods.
- The report within Payment Methods allows you to see batch deposit totals.
What is the payout schedule?
- After your first order, your first payout generally takes 7 business days.
- Your payouts will happen on Mondays and include the settled transactions from Friday to Thursday at 11:59:59 UTC.
- Transactions can take up to two business days to settle.
What fraud mitigation is included in SmartEtailing Payments?
- SmartEtailing Payments uses Stripe Radar to help detect and block fraud using machine learning that trains on data across millions of global companies.
- Even if a card is new to your business, there’s an 89% chance it’s been seen before on the Stripe network, and Radar’s algorithms adapt quickly to shifting fraud patterns.
Is fraud mitigation a guarantee against fraud?
- No, SmartEtailing Payments will continually refine fraud mitigation features but it does not offer a guarantee or insurance against fraudulent transactions.
- We recommend that you stay current on fraud protection best practices to further protect your business from such transactions.
What happens when there is a chargeback?
- You are responsible for chargebacks, and there is a $15 fee when a chargeback occurs, in addition to returning the payment.
- You will have the opportunity to contest the chargeback regardless of the reason, but this is a risk of doing business.
Is payment data secure?
- Yes. SmartEtailing is a PCI compliant application.
Can I still use a third-party payment provider on my SmartEtailing website?
- Yes. SmartEtailing currently allows the use of Paypal and Authorize.net.
- We recommend that you use SmartEtailing Payments for the most optimized software experience.
Do you offer any discounted plans or match rates?
- Rates vary based on your website package, however, high volume e-commerce sellers may qualify for lower rates.
Does my rate vary with card type?
- No. Our rate does vary, but we’ve chosen to offer a simple flat rate to you in order to simplify the complexity of understanding your costs.
- Your rate will be consistent regardless of the type of credit card a consumer uses.
Does SmartEtailing markup credit card processing?
- Yes. We negotiate base processing rates from Stripe based on total network sales volume. We include a small markup in the fees we pass along to you in order to fund further software enhancements and fraud protection services. This practice is consistent with e-commerce providers like Shopify and Lightspeed.
Service Rates vs Actual Costs
There are lots of payment processing services, and pricing is often not transparent. Our pricing is straight forward, offering predictable flat rates and per-transaction fees.
Here are examples of additional fees other processing services typically charge:
- Gateway Setup Fee: The fee charged for the creation and setup of a new gateway account.
- Gateway Monthly Fee: The monthly fee charged for a payment gateway account.
- Variable Transaction Fee: The fee charged by the payment gateway for each credit card transaction processed. The credit card transaction types for which the per-transaction fee is charged include authorizations, captures, refunds, declines or other related transactions, completed or submitted within the payment gateway.
- Batch Fee: The fee assessed per settled credit card transaction batch.
- Credit Card Discount Rate: A fee charged by the payment gateway that is a percentage of the total amount of each credit card transaction submitted.
- Credit Card Monthly Minimum Fee: This is the minimum credit card processing service fee charged per billing cycle. In the event that this fee is NOT exceeded by credit card transaction processing fees for the billing cycle, the difference between the actual fees charged and the minimum monthly fee value is billed.
- Returned Payment Fee: The fee assessed in the event your bank returns an ACH or credit card debit attempt for billing.
- Late Payment Fee: The fee assessed in the event of late payment for service fees.
SmartEtailing will incur some of these costs for our retailers in an effort to reduce complexity. There are some cases where we are not able to absorb costs, such as fees on returns or chargebacks. Most providers keep the network fees and interchange fees on returns, Visa, MC, AMEX do not return these fees to the provider. Passing on fees for chargebacks is also a common practice.