How to create and manage shipping methods and costs for e-commerce on your website.
To create and modify shipping methods, you will navigate to Commerce > Shipping Methods.
- You are presented with a single shipping option: Pickup at Store.
- This shipping method should always be free, and you should ensure that your Sales Tax Overrides are accurate for each location.
- You can also adjust the local sales tax for a location from Store Information as well.
- You have the option to create and modify a variety of shipping methods using all the options below.
- Title each shipping method logically and clearly.
- These are configured to best practices when your site is created.
- Check the box to make the shipping method visible to customers on your website.
- Select the modality of the shipping method that reflects the name of the shipping method.
- This matters for items that can only be shipped a specific way, so do not select a mode that doesn’t match how you intend to actually ship the item.
- Note: Expedited shipping should be approached with caution, as it is frequently used when making fraudulent transactions.
Sales Tax Override
- Set the tax rates for pickup orders, if they differ from the general tax rate for the store.
- Consult a tax professional to get the correct rate here for your store, if necessary.
- This can also be controlled through Store Information.
In-Store Pickup Message
- For pickup modes, this message will appear on the checkout page when in-store pickup is selected
Ship to Store Message
- This message displays in the cart and checkout process when a pickup mode is selected at a location that doesn't have the item in stock.
- Check the first box to show the time if takes for an item to ship to your store from a supplier that has the item in stock, these times are controlled in Supplier Sync
- Check the second box to show the approximate time it will take you to get the item from one location to the other.
- Activate if you have multiple locations.
- Choose whether a shipping method charges based on rules you create or always free.
Add Shipping Rule
- If purchase is between: you have the option of dollars, weight units, and total items. You cannot set the lower limit to be zero, it must be at least 0.01.
- Dollars allows you to set clear shipping tiers for items based on cost, especially if you're aiming for free shipping above a certain dollar cost.
- Weight units are based on the dimensional weight of an item, you can find these weights under the Shipping Display in products in Your Items. Setting rules based on weight units is ideal for things like bikes, helmets, wheels, and other bulky items.
- Total items are based on the number of items in the cart at checkout, including multiples of an item.
- Shipping charges: you have the option of dollars, percent, dollars per item, dollars per weight unit.
- Dollars allows you to set a flat shipping rate based on the rules set above. Perfect for simple shipping options which keep your options very transparent, but requires careful set up to make sure your costs are covered.
- Percent requires careful observation of the relationship between price and shipping cost.
- Dollars per item sets a scalable and predictable shipping rate based on the number of items in the cart, but can quickly create expensive shipping rates for customers, or leave you exposed for shipping costs on single items.
- Dollars per weight unit is good for setting shipping rates for items like bikes, helmets, wheels, and other bulky items.
- Plus/Minus/Minimum Or/Maximum Or: add an arbitrary additional cost, which may help shore up your costs.
- This rule applies every __ zone: if you have set up shipping zones, this allows you to specify particular shipping rules for particular zones.